Finding Aids to Materials in the Albert Gore Research Center
To aid researchers in finding materials in our holdings, we have grouped materials into several "archives" that you see below. Some individual collections may relate to more than one archive, and therefore will appear in more than one group. Links in each archive group will take you to the finding aid for that set of records, where you will find a complete description of the papers or record group. If you have questions or are having difficulty finding the materials you need, please consult a staff member. If you plan to visit the center for research, please familiarize yourself with our policies in advance.
Archive of American Democracy
Materials that document the history and operations of American government at the federal, state, and local levels in the papers of elected officials and individuals involved in politics, as well as records of organizations whose primary purpose is influencing government and politics. Graduate students wishing to travel to conduct research in our Congressional holdings may apply for a Richard A. Baker Graduate Student Travel Grant of up to $1000 from the Association of Centers for the Study of Congress.
- U.S. Congress: Albert Gore, Sr., House of Representatives; Albert Gore, Sr., Senate; Albert Gore, Sr., Audiovisual; LaMar Baker; Bill Boner; Jim Cooper; Bart Gordon; Zach Wamp
- Tennessee State Government: LaMar Baker; John Bragg; Frank Buck; Jim Cummings; Buford Ellington; John Hood; Andy Womack
- Individuals: James C. Free; Jerry Futrell; John Jay Hooker; Zadie Key; Robert Evins Pickard
- Organizations: Olen Hutchison Clemency Team; League of Women Voters of Murfreesboro Records; Tennessee Coalition to Abolish State Killing
- See also: Albert Gore Sr. Subject Files and Photographs from the Archive of American Democracy
Archive of Middle Tennessee State UniversityMaterials that document the history of MTSU from its founding in 1911 to the present; divided into two main groups that distinguish between those official materials produced by units within the university and those materials produced by others.
- Records of MTSU
Divided into record groups based on the creator of the materials. Contact the university archivist for details.
- Middle Tennessee State Normal School Historical Documents; Middle Tennessee State Teachers College Historical Documents
- University Publications
The Midlander (yearbook)
- Papers of Alumni, Faculty, Staff, and Organizations: James Robert (Bob) Abernathy; American Association of University Professors MTSU Chapter; Horace Beasley/Band of Blue; William Beasley; Lane and Marguerite Boutwell; Ruth Bowdoin; Buleah Davis; Ortrun Gilbert; Dot Harrison; T. Earl Hinton; Homer Pittard Campus School Papers; Ernest Hooper; Kappa Alpha Order; Robert LaLance; Charles "Bubber" Murphy; Joe Nunley; Phi Alpha Theta; Phi Kappa Phi; Professorial Caucus; Saunders Juvenile Music Club; Elizabeth Schardt; Anne Sloan; Eugene Sloan; Quintin Miller (Q.M.) Smith; Roscoe Strickland; Wymer Wiser; Bob Womack; Neil and Margaret Wright
- MTSU Oral History Projects and Television Programs: Q.M. Smith Oral History Project; Recollections; "MT Scene" (Dot Harrison); "Inside Academia" (Richard Hannah)
- See Also: Middle Tennessee State University Subject Files and Photographs from the Middle Tennessee State University Archives
- Records of MTSU
Margaret Lindsley Warden Library for Equine StudiesOne of the best research collections in the United States regarding all aspects of the history of horses and their relationships to humans. The Warden Library has several component parts that include books, periodicals, photographs, research files, and other materials. Many of the books have been catalogued in the MTSU Library catalog.
- Manuscript collections: Margaret Lindsley Warden; William J. McGill; John and Mary Miller; Gilbert McWilliams Orr; Ethel Rankin; Bob Womack
- Oral history: Middle Tennessee (MT) Oral History Project interviews with Margaret Lindsley Warden and Joan Hunt
Archive of American Veterans and the Home FrontMaterials relating to American veterans, military activity in Tennessee, and life on the home front from the Civil War to the present.
- Veterans History Project: hundreds of oral history interviews with veterans, and related manuscript materials
- Veterans Oral Histories: a collection of oral history interviews that predate the Veterans History Project
- Manuscript collections: Robert E. Alexander; Winston Bowling 65th Signal Battalion Newsletters ; Community Collection (Wars/Military Series); James Hollon; Jean Kiger; Adeline King; Homer and Mabel Pittard (Civil War series); Vickie L. Riggan; Sewart Air Force Base; Aaron Weise; Bob Womack; World War II Memorial Trust ; Donald A. Price Papers; Marion Skeen Coleman Peck Papers
Archive of Middle Tennessee WomenMaterials documenting all aspects of life for women in Middle Tennessee from the nineteenth to the twenty-first centuries.
- Manuscript collections: Adgent Family; American Association of University Women-Murfreesboro Branch; Frances Bohannon Music Club; Business and Professional Women's Club--Murfreesboro Chapter; Charity Circle of Murfreesboro; Craddock Study Club; Donnell-Rucker Family; Gilley-Puryear Families; Margaret Denny Hoover; Jennings and Rebecca Jones; Zadie Key; Jean Kiger; Adeline King; Sarah King; League of Women Voters of Murfreesboro Records; Licker-Haney-Maxwell Family; Middle Tennessee Women's Studies Association; Oaklands Association; Homer and Mabel Pittard; Vickie L. Riggan; Louisa Daniel Rutledge; Smyrna Hospital Auxiliary; Tennessee College for Women; Tennessee College for Women Alumnae Association; Women's Club of Murfreesboro; Marion Skeen Coleman Peck Papers
- Oral history: Finding aid for oral histories by and about women
Archive of Local History and CultureAssorted materials relating to life in Middle Tennessee, mostly in areas that do not fit in the other archive groups.
- Manuscript collections: Association for the Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities (APTA), Rutherford County Chapter; American Association of University Women-Murfreesboro Branch; Robert W. Baskin; Battle of Nashville Monument; Community Collection; Cecil Flowers; James Gillespie; Goldstein Family; Emmett Gowen; Andrew Gulliford; Floyd Hayes; Marianne Bevil Hillenmeyer; Walter King Hoover; Jennings and Rebecca Jones; Kerr Drugstore; James Moore King; Maps; John McFarland; Mt. Moriah Masonic; Municipal Planning; Newspapers; Oaklands Association; Hobart Parish and Johnnie Corbitt; Homer and Mabel Pittard; Rattle and Snap Plantation; Readyville Mill; Rutherford County Historical Society Papers; Rutherford County Historical Society Photographs; Rutherford County Historical Society Records; Tennessee Folklore Society Records; Tennessee State Fire Service School; Andrew L. Todd; "Uncle Dave Macon Hour" Tapes; Patsy Weiler
- Oral history projects: Middle Tennessee (MT) Oral History Project; Jefferson Springs; Tennessee Department of Transportation; Hurricane Katrina
- See Also: General Subject Files and Photographs from the Archive of Local History and Culture